Thursday, January 28, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I made some resolutions last year and I always intended to blog about them but I never did. They include the ever famous "lose weight, get out of debt, eat better" etc. I tried to be a bit specific but the first two are the only ones I really stuck to. Well, in my fashion. The first was "no soda pop", I accomplished by modifying to mean "no buying pop for drinking at home". I was allowed to drink it when I was out but not at home. That alone cut down on the amount that I drank a LOT. I'm sticking with that one this year.

I was closer with the second one. (No alcohol) I never drank a lot but I knew that I was getting fairly blase towards alcohol and I didn't like that. I used to be a "non-drinker" and I decided it was time to go back to that. It worked. I can count on one hand the amount of times I had alcohol last year and then it was usually just wine with dinner. I'll stick with that this year too.

I'm adding two more this year as well.

1. Quit speeding. Even five kms over the limit is too much. If it's 50 in town, go 50, not 60. On the highway the posted speed is 100 kms. Go 100. Not 110. It is HARD. I am used to going too fast so the world goes by at a certain rate. It's hard to learn that it should go slower. I'm finding that by conciously keeping my speed down, I am paying more attention to the road and I'm being a more cautious driver. It's good.
2. Brush my teeth every night. For some reason I've never been in this habit. In the morning is easy, your mouth tastes nasty. At night I *always* forget. I'm trying to build a new habit. It doesn't take long and I know it's good for me. I'm tracking how often I remember and, while I'm not perfect yet, I'm definitely building the habit, and that's what matters.
So there, my two, achievable, new years resolutions! On top of the much harder ones...

1 comment:

Charlyn said...

Boy, is that speeding one tough! I'm using my cruise control more and more these days to try and be better. Even (or maybe especially) on the 30 mph roads! Funny thing is that I feel more relaxed when I'm using it because I know I won't be pulled over! :)

Keep working on it! I'm sure you'll get better with practice. And you'll be happier with lower insurance rates from not having tickets!!