Thursday, August 05, 2010

Farewell

I handed in my keys to the office yesterday and today I went back for my farewell luncheon. I'll go in briefly on Monday to help with the final bank reconciliations and then I'm done working there forever. I was laughing a little when I handed in the keys. I told them "this is the third time I've done this. Please keep them this time!" :) I handed in the keys to this office when I moved out to the satelite one. I handed in those keys when I quit the organization and now I'm handing them in again!

The luncheon today was wonderful. As someone who's Love Language is "encouraging words" my love tank is definitely full :) We had a wonderful "afternoon tea" catered at the office. It was attended by all the current staff and a few past ones that I have worked with as well as the bookkeeper (who came in special for it) and our current Board Chair and the past Board Chair. Some of them spoke publicly around the table and all shared best wishes with me privately. An unexpected monetary gift was presented to me by the General Manager on behalf of the Board and I will be using it towards my education expenses.

I also *finally* turned over the scrapbook I started for the office over five years ago. I've been putting off finishing it but with this hard fast deadline, I finally buckled down and completed it. I have a companion one for myself (the main one is 12x12, mine is 8.5x11) that I'll be keeping. I have been with this organization, on and off since I started as a volunteer for work experience while I was still in high school. I was 17 then. I celebrated my 18th birthday that summer and recently celebrated 29. That means I've been there for over 11 years, over a third of my life and ALL of my adult life. It's been an amazing journey full of wonderful people and many fond memories. I know they are sad to see me go and on some level I'm sad to be leaving. But, as I've said ad nauseum, I'm ready to move on :) It is nice to have such a wondeful send off though. It sure makes me appreciate the time I've spent there and be glad I've been able to be part of such an amazing team for so long.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

On to the next adventure in your life!