Monday, May 07, 2012

Wonderful Weekend

Saturday night my Uncle Doug (dad's younger brother) his wife LaRae arrived in Ontario. We met up for dinner in Burlington where they were staying before heading to Niagara. It was wonderful to see them (they're the first family that has "visited" since I moved here!) We had a nice dinner and then went for ice cream. The whole time we caught up on each other's lives, discussed all the family weddings scheduled for this year (my two brothers, their son, and one other cousin/nephew). We also reminisced about family history and discussed the genealogy research I've been doing out here.

Since I was already in Burlington I had made plans to stay over night with my friend Jess. I got to her place just before 10pm. We chatted a bit and then went to bed and slept in on Sunday. It was the first Sunday of the month so we had a late service (7pm) which meant we had the whole day to do whatever we wanted to. We started with breakfast and then went for a walk along a section of the Bruce Trail. It was a perfect day for a walk. Sunny and warm with a slight breeze that keep it just right. We walked along a creek and then up a hill and looped back around to the parking lot. The whole thing took just over an hour.

Next we drove into Oakville and went shopping in their downtown district. This was my first time visiting there and we weren't looking for anything in particular so it was just nice to poke around in the shops. Jess bought a beautiful linen skirt and we shared some meringues from a bakery while sitting in a park and watching all the little kids run around on the grass.

Once we were done shopping we went back to her place, had an amazing dinner of fish, new potatoes and salad and then got ready for church. Nothing about the day was particularly spectacular (except for the weather) but it was incredibly relaxing and wonderful. This week I am doing a lot of closing shifts at work so I am going to enjoy having my days to myself.

No comments: