Sunday, January 06, 2013

Happy Birthday Ashley


I wrote this post on Friday night but I didn't have internet access on my computer until now. 

I’m having a horrible time right now with missing Ashley. Sunday would have been her birthday and she passed away just a week later. That makes this the first anniversary of her death. I don’t think it would be nearly so bad if I wasn’t heading out on an adventure so similar to when I went to Quebec. When I went to Quebec I didn’t know I would be living with two other students, never mind ones who became such dear friends. How can you miss someone so much when you only knew them for such a short time? These past few weeks I have found myself composing countless emails, texts and Facebook messages to her in my head. I know she’d be ecstatic about what I have planned for this coming year and I wish I could share it with her. It’s not like I don’t have hundreds of other friends but Ashley was special. I think when someone dies they achieve an immortality and their significance in your life grows. I think nothing of shooting off a quick message to any number of friends or family members and getting a short reply, but knowing I CAN’T with her is hard. Instead I have to allow the memory of her short but bright life, inspire and encourage me. Know that she is looking down and cheering me on and look forward to the new friends that I will make that have the potential to touch my life as she did. 

No comments: