Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The 80s

I am not a child of the eighties. I may have been born at the beginning of the decade and spent most of my childhood in them but very little of the pop cultures rubbed off on me. There are a few things like slap bracelets, scrunchies and neon (a trend that I wish would go away again) that rubbed off but for the most part I identify a child of the nineties. This also means that I missed out on most of the music and movies of the decade. Yes I've HEARD of a lot of the bands but I couldn't tell you any of the songs. Or conversely I may know the song but I couldn't tell you the band. Same with movies. I've seen some of them but many of the "staples" I've missed out on.

I've been working on rectifying this gap in my cultural education this summer. I get a fair amount of downtime in the afternoon so I usually watch at least one movie. So far I've seen "Heathers", "Breakfast Club", "Sixteen Candles", "Footloose", and "Tootsie". I'm a bit limited to whatever I can stream online and a lot of content is blocked in France (it's just licensing rights, I get the same restrictions in Canada) but I'm enjoying the movies I do get. Any suggestions on what else I should see?

1 comment:

Martha said...

We're the meg Ryan movies in the 1980s or was that the 1990s? I was a young adult in the 1980s, and recall many of those movies. Lets see, how about some old school Bette milder in beaches. Tom cruise took off during that era as well.

And my husband's favorite, the princess bride.