Monday, August 12, 2013

Were you afraid to come to France?

I find this question so interesting. It's more than fair. I mean there are a lot of people who would never consider moving into a strangers home in a foreign country for two months. The thing is for me, it's not the first time I've done this. I moved from BC to Ontario and into the basement suite of someone who I had only ever talked to on the phone. We ended up becoming friends, although she likes me more than I like her, and I was definitely living "in her home". Even though I had my own entrance and could come and go as I pleased I still had to stay in contact and report when I was going to be using my car.

The in 2011 I went to Quebec for five weeks. There I stayed with a host family and two other students, all of whom I met when I moved in there.

Earlier this year I went to Georgia where I had spoken with two people before arriving. The international student coordinator and my academic advisor. Other than that I knew NO one. That changed quickly though. I met my best friend down there on the first day and met dozens of others who have enriched my life.

So no, coming to France was not a stretch. Even with the language barrier I make friends quickly and can make conversation with pretty much anyone. It's a great skill to have.

No comments: