Monday, October 20, 2008

Cousin Carla

Friday evening I went straight from work to Vancouver. Specifically to the Salt Tasting Room in Gastown. My cousin Carla was in town with her boyfriend Lee and she had arranged a get together there.

Salt is a really neat concept. From their website: "Salt is a tasting room specializing in artisinal cheese, small-batch cured meats, and a dynamic array of wines, beers and Sherries. Our menu is simple. Guests assemble a Tasting Plate from our chalkboard’s selection of 10 cheeses, 10 meats, and 10 condiments. The selections change constantly, making it almost impossible to have the same Salt experience twice."

I had a tasting plate combination of two cheeses and a meat. Then I let the waitress pick three wed rines...no wait, make that red wines LOL to compliment. I didn't keep the sheet of what I had and I'm kicking myself now because they were all fantastic. Along with the meat and cheese you get three condiments and I had apricot preserves, an Italian mustard and Granny Smith apples. You also get a basket of bread so it is surprisingly filling. I did find that by the end of our meal I was craving chocolate or something sweet.

Saturday I picked Carla and Lee up from their hotel and we went to her brother's house for dinner. His daughter is 3.5 and I haven't seen her since just after she was born. She kept Carla and I busy dressing up as princesses and having picnics on the floor. It was really sweet. It was great to catch up with Peter and his wife Shirley as well.

Carla and Lee are living in Amsterdam right now so it's hard to say when I'll see them again. It was great to have this time with them though.

No comments: