Wednesday, February 03, 2010

One Little Word

Lots of places suggest selecting one word as your word for the year. I am most familiar with the concept through Ali Edwards. This newsletter explains the concept.

“A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow.

Last fall in issue two of this newsletter I wrote about the power of words and gave my top ten tips for getting those words down when you are scrapbooking. Today I want to introduce you to the idea that a single word can be a catalyst for enriching your life as well as your scrapbook layouts”


I haven’t blogged about it before but for the last two years my word was “PEACE”. I gravitated towards songs that had that word in the lyrics and whenever I saw it somewhere or read a verse that contained it, a tangible peace would settle over me.

My song for 2009 was Jeremy Camp’s “Slow Down Time”. I included the lyrics at the end of this post: http://agent713.blogspot.com/2009/01/2008-year-that-was.html. The line that says “My only peace is waiting before You” really stuck with me all year.

My word for 2010 year is DREAM. I just realized as I am writing this entry that it coincides nicely with 2010 being the Olympic year. Lots of people have dreams of Olympic gold. My dreams are different and I feel like this year I am giving myself the permission to truly DREAM about the possibilities.

Many of my dreams are scheduled to come true this year. I mean how long have I been wanting to move to Ontario? This is the year that will happen. Even though I only quantified and verbalized the idea of going back to school recently, I am realizing that is a dream and it is a means to seeing another dream fulfilled, that is working in a field that I am truly passionate about. Maybe some year “passion” will be my word. For now, I am focusing on DREAMing about the possibilities in life.

I’ve only heard the song a few times but this is the front runner for song of the year for 2010 for me: Jessie Farrel’s “Burn So Bright

If you’re waiting for the perfect time
To try something you’ve never tried
Time will pass you by and you won’t do it
Save nothing for a rainy day, you’ll blink and it will be too late
Why not start right now and just get to it?
Shut up the voice inside your head that says “stay in the shadows”

Burn so bright that the dream you have inside lights up the night
Burn so bright that the angels have to cover up their eyes
Dare to be bold, dare to be great
Leave a little love all over the place
It’s your life, burn so bright

Why talk why you can sing out loud?
Why hide when you can draw a crowd?
You deserve a future with no limits
Take baby steps until you’re done
Don’t miss out on all the fun
Put a memory in every minute
With every excuse you come up with
You’ll miss a door that opens

Burn so bright that the dream you have inside lights up the night
Burn so bright that the angels have to cover up their eyes
Dare to be bold, dare to be great
Leave a little love all over the place
It’s your life, burn so bright

Turn up that voice inside your head that says “you’re heard for a reason”

Burn so bright that the dream you have inside lights up the night
Burn so bright that the angels have to cover up their eyes
Dare to be bold, dare to be great
Leave a little love all over the place
It’s your life, burn so bright


I do feel that I’ve been “living in the shadows” and I’m excited to start “burning so bright”.

I also love the line “Put a memory in every minute”. Dierks has a song called “Every Mile a Memory” which I’ve always loved and (CREEPY!!! It just came on the radio!!!) but the idea of putting a memory in EVERY moment, is even more powerful. It implies that every small part of life should be memorable and I love that.

So there, this a freakishly long entry but now I’ve got it out there.

Now I can keep DREAMing.

No comments: