Wednesday, May 16, 2007

How did I do?

Well, that was one of the best award shows I've seen in awhile. Full of laughs and surprises...well, some surprises. I participated in a running commentary with Diane, Lisa, Melissa and a few others. CMT Canada finally got something right and broadcast the show twice last night. Once at 8pm Eastern and once at 8pm Pacific which meant I could watch it live with my friends instead of waiting for the world to turn.

So, how did I do on my predictions?

Entertainer of the Year
THINK: Anybody
WANT: Kenny Chesney
WHO WON? KENNY!!! Woohoo! and I must say, he did a fantastic job of kicking off the show and it was really nice to see Shania Twain there to present the award to him.

Top Male Vocalist
THINK: Keith Urban
WANT: I'd LOVE to see underdog Brad Paisley take it!
WHO WON? Brad took it!!! I am SO proud of him. He had one of the funniest speeches of the night too. "Thank you to the fans. I put out a song about two people drinking themselves to death, you buy it. I put out a love song, you buy it. I put out a song about stupid bugs, you buy it. Thank you" Interestingly enough, Keith was no where to be seen last night.

Top Female Vocalist
THINK: Watch your reaction Faith Hill. The last thing we need it to rehash it again for the millionth time. I think this one is Carrie's again.
WANT: I'm cool with Carrie taking it.
WHO WON? I was right. Carrie took it. I liked Paul McGuires comment on CMT Canada "It's Carrie Underwood's world, we all just live in it"

Top Vocal Duo
Somehow I missed blogging my prediction on this one. I would have said Brooks & Dunn even though I would have loved to see The Wreckers take it. B&D walked away with it again though. This was their 14th time!

Top Vocal Group
THINK: Rascal Flatts has this one sewn up
WANT: I'd love to see Canadians Emerson Drive walk away with this one. It would do my "Countrified Soul" good :D
WHO WON? RF took it. No surprise. You can't argue with their insane crossover popularity.

Top New Male Vocalist
THINK: Rodney Atkins, although it's weird that he's even nominated. It's not like he's *new* he's just back on the charts
WANT: I want Chris Young to win because even though he's a product of "Nashville Star" he's my favourite of the three (even if Craig Morgan was at Billy Bob's the night I was there)
WHO WON? Rodney Atkins. His singles have been too successful to overlook. I will also vote him for the most boring speech of the night :(

Top New Femal Vocalist
THINK: Taylor Swift
WANT: Miranda Lambert
WHO WON? Miranda! She has the most experience of the three nominees what with just releasing her second cd. I'm excited that she won though.

Top New Duo or Vocal Group
THINK: The Wreckers
WANT: The Wreckers, I really think they've got a great shot at it.
WHO WON? Little Big Town walked away with this one. I am not a fan of theirs so I wasn't too thrilled but I know they've worked hard for it and probably do deserve it.

Album of the Year
THINK: Some Hearts by Carrie Underwood. Who can dispute over 5 million copies sold?
WANT: I won't cry if Carrie wins but I'd love for King George to take this one home. "It Just Comes Natural" is an instant classic
WHO WON? Some Hearts. I was right. Talk about pressure for her next one though!!!

Single Record of the Year
THINK: Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
WANT: Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood - it's a classic and SO well done
WHO WON? Amazing upset in both Song and Single of the year categories. George Strait won both with "Give it Away" and totally knocked Carrie out. I was very happy for the writers, Bill Anderson, Jamey Johnson and Buddy Cannon. George was genuinely suprised too. Very cool.

The results of these next two categories wasn't televised.

Video of the Year
THINK: Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
WANT:Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
WHO WON? Carrie. That video was pure genius and even people who don't like country music comment on it and the song.

Vocal Event of the Year
THINK: Building Bridges - Brooks & Dunn with Vince Gill & Sheryl Crow
WANT: Me and God - Josh Turner, Dr. Ralph Stanley and Diamond Rio
WHO WON? Brooks & Dunn

So there you go. I predicted six winners correctly and six that I wanted to win, did. I was only off on three categories. Single and Song of the year because I underestimated King George and Group of the year. Great show though!

~Heidi

No comments: