Friday, December 16, 2005

Basics for Babies

Today was exciting even before the announcement about the job and stuff.

Last night I stayed over at my friend Jenna's house. This morning we went to the JRfm Basics for Babies Breakfast in Surrey. Basics for Babies is the charity that New Country 93.7 JRfm supports. The breakfast is a wrap up of the seasonal donation drive. All it costs to get in is a donation to BfB. In my case, a few boxes of pablum. They have continental breakfast available, a very cool silent auction and live entertainment. We arrived around 6:30 am, just after Rick and Elmer Tippe finished thier set. As we were coming in from the parkade I saw Derric Ruttan sitting in the lobby. He was on his cell phone so I didn't interrupt him but I wanted to!!! LOL

Instead Jenna and I looked at the silent auction items (caressed the autographed pictures of Dierks Bentley ;)) and got some breakfast. Derric came on stage around 7am. For those of you who don't know who Derric Ruttan is, shame on you. LOL. Just kidding. Derric is a very talented singer/songwriter originally from Ontario but living in Nashville. He was nominated for Canadian Country Music Associations Male Artist of the Year. The songs he has co-written include Dierks Bentley's smash hits "Lot of Leavin' Left to Do" and "What Was I Thinking" as well as hits for Paul Brandt, Aaron Prichett and himself of course. Today he sang "When You Come Around", "Shine" and "Love Did", his current single with a Christmas themed video that's just been released to CMT. Plus he lead a very fun impromptu christmas sing along during the commercial break.

After his "set" I was able to go up and meet him, get my picture taken and get his autograph. I really respect him as a songwriter especially, and I told him that. He is also a *really* nice guy :)

Next up to preform was Aaron Lines. Aaron is a 27 year old singer/songwriter from Fort McMurray, Alberta. I've watched his career ever since he started and I love his music. His latest song "Lights of My Hometown" is one that I keep telling Bella about. I was born in Edmonton, Alberta and even though I moved to BC soon after I went back every summer (and sometimes more often) and I can relate to the both the praries and the coming home theme in this song. Aaron sang Lights, "Waitin' on the Wonderful" and an awesome version of "Bella Wood". Of course afterwards I met him, got my picture taken and an autograph and chatted a bit about Alberta, Bella and how she wants to come "home" and how he relates.

It was awesome to meet both of these very talented entertainers in such an intimate setting. Basics for Babies is a great cause. Watch for me there next year!

~Heidi

2 comments:

The Stopper Family said...

Welcome to the blogging world - great posts and love the photos!!

~Nancy

Veronica said...

Hey Heidi - you changed the part on your hair - I really like it!

How great that you were able enjoy something like this when you are also facing your "rollercoaster".