Monday, November 17, 2008

Attitude of Gratitude #15: Voting

This post is a few days late because I didn't have any internet access for over 48 hours. Me! Offline for TWO DAYS and I didn't even go into withdrawl! So, why was I offline? Grab a coffee, pull up a seat and let me tell you :) (and yes I'm phrasing my update as a "Attitude of Gratitude" post. When you're behind, killing two birds with one stone is the way to go :D)

I am thankful for the democratic process.

Hah! I bet you thought all the political posts were over LOL Sorry, but they're not. I saved mine till now. This has been a crazy year for politics and elections. The US Presidential race started with the candidate race way back when and finally culminated in the election on November 4th.

Within that time frame, the Canadian's had a(nother) federal election. From the date the election was called to the actual voting was about five weeks. Nothing changed except that the Conservatives gained more seats. They still have a minority government though.

Saturday was the Civic (municiple) elections across BC. These happen on the third Saturday of November, every three years so it was kind of random that it happened on the same year as the US election and the Canadian Federal Election, oh, and we have a provincial election in May. Insane.
Anyways, I actually voted locally in the advanced polls on Wednesday. I had to wait for about 40 minutes for my turn and even though my choice for mayoral seat wasn't the winner, I'm still glad I got to cast my vote.
On Saturday I was in Vancouver helping my friend Sue with the civic elections there. Sue was the "Presiding Election Official" for the section we served. She did turn her desk over to this little guy for a little while though :)


It was a fun day. The traffic flow was pretty steady. I processed 146 voters. In between we visited, I cross stitched and we ate.
At the end of the day we printed off the results and Sue took them to City Hall where they were added in with the rest of the votes from the city.

I am thankful for the democratic process and the fact that we have the right to have our say. Even more than that I am thankful that elections are over unti May!!!



No comments: