Thursday, August 03, 2006

Inefficient

Wow. I’d forgotten how inefficient covering reception can be. I was in the reception position for most of seven years. In the past four months I have completely gotten out of the groove and now a phone call throws me for a huge loop.

Our receptionist is on vacation this week and our part time receptionist doesn’t work Thursday’s or Friday’s. I volunteered to cover phones during lunch hour awhile ago so now I am on full time phone duty today and tomorrow. It’s brutal! Especially since I don’t have the knowledge at hand to answer enquiries as quickly as I’d like to. Even determining what they want and who would be best to answer their questions is difficult. It is GREAT experience for me but it’s HARD.

Plus, it is SO disruptive. I feel a lot like Winnie the Pooh today. He says
“Do you ever stop to think and forget to start again?”
Yup. Every time the phone rings!

~Heidi

No comments: