Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Attitude of Gratitude V2#10 - Winter Coat

There is a list of things I need to get and events that need to happen before I move to Ontario. Things like paying off my car are done. Next up was a proper winter coat. I know it shouldn’t really be a big deal but I don’t like spending a lot of money on clothes so it was a big deal for me.

Knowing I am going to New York in a few months makes the importance of a proper winter coat even more important. I say “proper” because I have jackets that I wear. They’re warm enough but they’re not formal looking and they won’t do in cold weather. (It never really gets cold here, and if it does, I really don’t have to be out in it for any length of time)

When I went to Alberta at Thanksgiving I made a goal of buying a winter coat. My rationale was two fold. A. There are more coats available in Alberta because it gets colder (I had looked here and couldn’t find anything I was happy with) B. There’s no PST (provincial sales tax) in Alberta so I’d be saving 7%.

Luckily a new mall had just opened and everyone wanted to go check it out so on Sunday the whole family piled into vehicles and went to Crossing Mills in Balzac. We were a large group so we split up. Brittany, Candace and I took Joshua and hunted for my coat. Those girls were troopers. Went into practically every woman’s clothing store and I tried on anything that would fit. They gave me their opinions (positive and negative) and when we finally found a coat in Ricki’s (of all places) we knew it was the right one.

I haven’t posted this story until now because I wanted a picture of myself in the coat and with it getting dark so early now, it was hard to get one. This is a self portrait taken in the gardens behind the library.

Today I am thankful for my winter coat. I’ve needed it for years and I am grateful that I finally found just want I was looking for.

No comments: