Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Mon femme est enceinte

As you know, my phone battery died on Thursday night. When I got home on Monday Dad said that I had a message waiting from my friend Jenna. I listened to it and the one she left on my cell phone (once I re-charged it). She wanted to get together for coffee. Okay, sounds good. Monday evening (after I gave up on trying to update my blog because the computer kept crashing) I called her. They (Jenna and her husband William) were just in the process of making dinner so I went over to their house to hang out.

The Monday after a board meeting is a very busy day so I was pretty tired by the time I got to Jenna's...at least that's my excuse. After some general "how are you, how was your weekend" chit chat, William asked me how my French was. I explained that I'm better at reading then writing but if it is a topic I'm familiar with then I can usually pick up on the basic words. He gave me a test sentence which I won't repeat here (and can't cause I forget the words). Then he gave me the following: "Mon femme est enceinte" Didn't mean a thing to me. I translated it to "My something is something". Hmph. Rather anticlimactic. Jenna filled in "It means 'my wife is pregnant'". Of course I focused on the words and how they didn't sound a thing like that. William was like "NO, you don't get it. MY WIFE IS PREGNANT!" Ooooooooh ::lightbulb:: Look at Jenna "Really? Congratulations!"

They have been trying pretty much since the day they got married (just over a year ago) so this is really exciting news. Right now it's looking like it will be a Christmas baby. She's been to the doctor who did the test and confirmed that everything looks good.

This is the second of my close friends that has announced they are expecting. It's awesome. I love babies :D

Congrats Jenna and William!!! You'll make fantastic parents.

~Heidi

6 comments:

Mel said...

Congratulations to them!!!

tosin said...

Cool! What a creative way to tell you. I love it!

Congrats to them!

Pamela Lynn ~ flutterby7 said...

Congrats to Jenna and William!
Awesome way to tell you the news!

Veronica said...

What a great way for them to tell you - and how funny that you didn't "get it" at first ;)

Congrats to them :)

Martha said...

Congratulation to your friends!
I read the title of your blog and realized my French is equally bad. I got "My Wife is" but was totally stumped on the last word.
But then again, thinking back some 20 years ago when I last studied French, learning how to say "pregnant" in French was probably NOT something high school teachers put high on their lesson plan priority list, eh?

Again, best wishes to your friends for a safe and uneventful pregnancy!

agent713 said...

LOL Martha I kept telling them that "enceinte" sounded like "a saint" and I'll tell you this was NOT an immaculate conception ;)
~Heidi