Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Square Dancing

DianaSioux left the following comment on my last blog entry:
Hey, I didn't know you square danced! I remember doing a section of that in PE in grade school. Everyone moaned and groaned because it was so "uncool", but I secretly enjoyed it.

I'm replying to it here because it deserves it's own post :)

Obviously, you all now know I square dance. People ask why I started and I always tell them "Because it's the only "A" I ever got in high school PE!" LOL It's true. In grade ten during the winter quarter we had square and line dancing and then first aid. I got 93% that semester. I hated gym. I think I did better that semester because I didn't have to change into a gym strip. In grade ten there were five PE classes running at the same time. The girls grade ten, boys grade ten, French nine and two grade eight classes. The previous unit had run over so the girls and boys grade ten classes ended up dancing together (as opposed to with the grade eights) That class was so much fun. We actually tried a version of round dancing then too (something we wouldn't have done with the younger kids)

Anyways, when I started my last job I was in a new town. I saw the ad for square dancing in the paper and thought I'd try it. I need to be more active and this seemed like a good way to do it. I convinced a friend of mine to dance with me for the first few months but they he backed out because he just didn't have time. Since then I've made do with a variety of other partners. My "regular" partner is a guys who's wife doesn't dance. We have fun together.

Typically I dance Plus on Monday nights and Mainstream on Thursday's. Thursday is also when the beginners come so it's a lower level of dance. It's good for refreshing and review.

I have about a dozen skirts and four crinolines already too. I've been given a bunch, I've bought a few and my mom even made me one. I'll try and take pictures of them some time for you.

So there you go, I am a square dancer :)

~Heidi

3 comments:

Veronica said...

I've seen the skirts and crinolines. I've even gone to dance WITH Heidi (but I didn't dance). It looks like fun :)

Martha said...

Yes, photos would be awesome! My roomate in college was an avid square dancer. I"m wondering if she still dances? I should ask her...

Me, well, thankfully that kids are still you and innocent enough to think that what I call dancing is really dancing. I'll be crushed when they discover my dancing is as lame as my singing...

Martha said...

Grrr...should read young and innocent. One just interupted me mid-comment...